How to raise a dispute with our insurance based scheme

The following information is for tenants whereby the deposit is protected with mydeposits Insurance. If your deposit is protected with our custodial scheme you can manage the deposit in your online account here.

Check the status of a current dispute:

You can check the progress of a current, live dispute that’s under review with the mydeposits dispute resolution service by visiting the dispute resolution area here.

Remember you need your Deposit Protection Certificate number to log in.

Raise a dispute:

If at the end of your tenancy:

  1. You can’t agree with your landlord over the amount of the deposit to be returned,
  2. Or aren’t satisfied with their explanation for withholding the deposit;

You can use our free dispute resolution service to resolve your dispute, either online or by post, within three months of the date that you move out of the property. Visit our Resource Centre for more information.

If you wish to raise a dispute you can do so here.

Dispute Resolution – how it works

If after requesting your deposit back and discussing the proposed deductions with your landlord you wish to raise a dispute you can do so with mydeposits.

The mydeposits dispute resolution service is evidence-based and uses professional, impartial adjudicators. In 2012 our dispute resolution service won an international award for excellence from the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR).

The dispute process will resolve the issue in five simple steps:

Step 1: Tenant provides all evidence and submits a dispute with mydeposits within three months of vacating the property
Step 2: Dispute is assessed by mydeposits
Step 3: Member provides rebuttal and evidence to support deductions
Step 4: Case is passed to an Adjudicator to make a binding decision
Step 5: Disputed amount is distributed in accordance with the Adjudicator’s decision

Available online

Your dispute can be handled from start to finish completely online:

  1. Upload all your evidence (including request for deposit return, tenancy agreement , and if relevant photos, check in/out reports or rent statements)
  2. Submit the dispute within three months of vacating the property

Both the landlord/agent and tenant must agree to use the mydeposits Dispute Resolution Service. The Adjudicator’s decision is final with no right to appeal. The alternative to this service is to use the Courts.