What is Insurance?

Our insurance scheme means you paid to join mydeposits
and also pay a protection fee that lets you hold the deposit
in your bank account.

If this is how you protect deposits login here

Member LOGIN

What is Custodial?

Our custodial scheme means that you joined mydeposits
for free and transfer the deposit money to us to hold.

If this is how you protect your deposits, then use:

Landlord login or Business login

Landlord LOGIN Business LOGIN

Tenancy Deposit Dispute resolution with mydeposits

We provide a free, impartial dispute resolution to resolve any issues over deposit deductions.

How dispute resolution works

If your landlord or letting agent want to make deductions to your deposit and you don’t agree, then we are here to help.
Make sure you speak to your landlord or agent first, as most issues are solved simply by talking.

Here’s an overview of how our dispute resolution service works, it depends on how your landlord/agent has protected your deposit.

Insurance deposit protection dispute process

Dispute Initiation

  • You can raise a dispute with us if you don’t agree with the proposed deductions.*
  • Ask for your deposit back and allow 10 days for the landlord/agent to respond before you raise a dispute.
  • The quickest way is online. You need to provide details about the dispute and any evidence to support your claim.

*You will generally have three calendar months from the date you vacate the property or from the date the deposit is unprotected, whichever is sooner, in which to raise a dispute. Please note that this is three months less one day.

Contact and we safeguard the disputed money

  • We will notify landlord/agent and let them view your evidence.
  • They must send the disputed deposit money to us for safekeeping. Any undisputed money must be returned to you.

Your landlord/agent provides their evidence

  • Evidence that supports their claim to the deposit money should be submitted, which may include the tenancy agreement, an inventory, photo and correspondence.

Dispute Decision

  • The case is compiled and sent to an independent, impartial adjudicator.
  • We will notify you both along with the reasons for the decision.
  • We return the money as per the decision.

Dispute Process for Custodial Protection

Dispute Initiation

  • You can raise a dispute with us if you can’t agree on the proposed deductions.
  • We will notify all parties of the dispute. Any undisputed deposit money is returned to you.

Landlord or agent submits their claim

  • Your landlord/agent should submit evidence to support their deductions. It may include the tenancy agreement, an inventory, photos and any correspondence.

Your landlord/agent provides the evidence

  • You can review their evidence and counter the landlord/ agent’s claims.
  • You can also submit your own evidence.

Landlord/agent reviews your case

  • They can view your evidence and submit final comments.

Dispute Decision

  • The case is compiled and sent to an independent, qualified adjudicator.
  • You will both be notified of the decision along with an explanation and reasons for the decision.
  • The money is distributed as per the adjudicator’s decision.

Raise a dispute

Select the scheme your deposit is protected with to get started.

What is alternative dispute resolution (ADR)?

ADR is an alternative method of resolving disputes to the traditional option of going to Court.
mydeposits provides an ADR service and actively encourages its use.
Both you and your landlord or agent must agree to its use.
The process is completely evidence based. The parties will be given an opportunity to present their case and evidence to a qualified Adjudicator. You will be able to set out your claim and the member must provide evidence to justify deductions from the deposit.
The Adjudicator will analyse the evidence submitted and make a binding decision as to how the deposit should be distributed.

How long do I have to raise a deposit dispute?

Insurance Scheme:

The tenant(s) will have three months from the date they vacate the property to raise a deposit dispute with mydeposits.

For example, if you leave the property on the 30th April, you will have until the 29th July to raise a deposit dispute.

Custodial Scheme:
Either party can initiate the deposit release, at which point the responding party has the option to accept the proposed release terms or raise a deposit dispute.

How do I avoid a deposit dispute?

We have found that most disputes are resolved simply by the agent or landlord, and tenant talking through the issues.
We recommend that do the following before raising a dispute:
1. Remind yourself of your obligations under your tenancy agreement.
2. Please ensure you are aware of the expectations of the cleanliness of the property before the end of the tenancy.
3. Wherever possible, ensure your attend the ‘check-out’ inventory process that compares the condition of the property at the end of the tenancy against its condition at the start. Make sure any of your feedback or comments are noted.
4. Your landlord or agent should provide you with a breakdown of any deductions they intend to make to the deposit. You should ask to see evidence of why they intend to make the deductions.

Can I use the court instead of the mydeposits dispute resolution service?

You can resolve the dispute through the Courts but you will have to inform mydeposits at the point of raising a dispute.
If you landlord/agent has used mydeposits insurance product to protect your deposit, they must transfer the disputed deposit money to us and we will distribute the disputed amount in accordance with a Court Order following the decision.
If you landlord/agent wants to use the Court, we will inform you of their decision.
The onus is on the party wishing to use the Courts to issue Court proceedings. If they have not been issued within six months then we may pay the disputed deposit amount to the other party.

What is dispute evidence?

The mydeposits dispute resolution service is evidence based. The higher the quality of the evidence that you supply, the more it will assist your case.
You must submit the signed tenancy agreement, other examples of evidence to provide include:

1. Check in and check out reports and inventories that are signed and dated.
2. A schedule of condition
3. Photos / video
4. Invoices / receipts
5. Written correspondence

You should ensure that all your evidence is relevant to the case, easy to understand and properly presented.
The Adjudicator will analyse all evidence and submissions but may not refer to every piece of evidence submitted.

What reasons may mydeposits reject a dispute?

1. The dispute must relate to matters about the deposit. We will not adjudicate on any other issues.
2. If either party has already commenced Court proceedings on any matter related to the tenancy , unless they have been withdrawn or are stayed for mediation purposes or the court has subsequently directed that the matter be dealt with by dispute resolution.
3. There are allegations of fraud, criminal activities, duress or harassment by either party which we deem outside our remit.
4. There is clear evidence of rent arrears or we consider the dispute is being raised frivolously or unreasonably by you, the tenant.