What is Insurance?

Our insurance scheme means you paid to join mydeposits
and also pay a protection fee that lets you hold the deposit
in your bank account.

If this is how you protect deposits login here

Member LOGIN

What is Custodial?

Our custodial scheme means that you joined mydeposits
for free and transfer the deposit money to us to hold.

If this is how you protect your deposits, then use:

Landlord login or Business login

Landlord LOGIN Business LOGIN

Get all the latest news to your inbox

Get all the latest news to your inbox

August 21

by mydeposits
Do you know best practice in residential possession and eviction?

As a landlord there are a number of reasons why you may need to seek possession of your property from your tenants, and while it is often the last resort, the process can be concerning and stressful for everyone affected.

What’s the best way?

There are specific steps you must take in order to regain possession of your property legally, and if your tenants have signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), you have two options

Serving a section 21 (S21) notice, or

Serving a section 8 (S8) notice

Which notice should I serve?

You should use S21 if you simply require your property back at, or after, the expiry of the tenancy. Providing you’ve served the S21 notice to your tenants, it should be fairly straight forward and there’s no need for a court hearing either, so it’s the quickest way.

You should use S8 if your tenants have breached the terms of the tenancy – such as falling behind on rent (rent arrears). However, this route is lengthier than using S21 and you could encounter more complications as your tenants are able to defend it during court proceedings.

Need help?

It is a tricky situation so, to help, mydeposits has created a new best practice guide with eviction specialists Landlord Action.

It gives you a start to finish account of how to gain possession of your property quickly and legally depending on your circumstances, and offers advice on:

How to go about regaining possession during  or at the end of the tenancy

What to expect during the process and how to prepare for any complications you may encounter along the way

What to do if your tenants fail to vacate the property after being ordered to leave by the courts

Don’t get caught out

Remember, when signing a tenancy agreement you’re giving your tenant the legal right to reside in your property and you’re not entitled to the property back without first serving a correct notice.

So make sure you read the guide and prepare as you never know when you might need to go about gaining possession of your property.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience More info